Welcome dear family and friends!

This is our way of sharing Max's mission.  We will post his letters and some of the photos, he sends home to us.  We hope you enjoy witnessing the blessings that come to him during these wonderful two years!

--Ken and Jen Perkes [Max's parents]

Max was asked to chose a scripture for the plaque that hangs in our church during his full time service.  This is the scripture he chose:

Doctrine and Covenants 35:13-14

"Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit;

And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine own indignation will I preserve them."

Friday, November 27, 2009

Bonjour!!!! [Letter written 9-30-09]

Hello hello wonderful Perx family!!


Thanks so much for the emails this week. I laughed a lot haha you guys are too funny. So this week was drumroll..... awesome as always in the mission haha got ya. No but really it was an awesome week. So first for some cultural Lugano facts for you. Languages.... there are lots of languages here. Switzlerand has 4 national languages being, italian, english, german, and french. So pretty much everyone speaks at least two languages. We hear other languages being spoken all day everywhere. I love when german speakers ask us for directions and there like... chzne bokcnien shinepine bla bla bla... and i respond with i dont speak german (in german though) and immediatly they think i do speak german so they start speaking louder and slower, and once again i respond with nooooo i dont speak german silly!! Haha so it is quite fun. So next cultural fact.... ethnicity. Most people here are swiss, with some connection to italy... like there parents are from italy but they were born here in Ticino (the name of our region). There are many german swiss people here as well. Lotsss of africans, a ton in fact. And most of them are muslim african from like... samalia or other crazy places i've never heard of. I have met, iraqians, pakistanians, iranians, turkish, russian, mongolian, johanisburgians, all of the european places, japanese, chinese, ukrainians, americans, santo domingo people (lots actually, quite fun) and basically name a place and i know someone from there. So it is quite the little mixing pot of people for us. For some reason on the muslims love us here haha. We'll have some guy stop us and be like... wasssup man ho are you guys. And as we are walking away i turn to my comp and ask... who is he.. and he responds... i have no idea... never met him haha. So they like the missionaries here. So food here in Lugano. Nothing really different than in italy actually. Pizza, the works. Lots of pasta or as you americans say spaghetti. Just a fun fact. Spaghetti is a specific type of pasta. So as americans we just call any type of pasta spaghetti which is like calling every car a jeep or something. Each type of pasta has its own cool name here which is fun. Spaghetti is correct but that is the long pasta. But anyways im not sure if i already told you but we just have 2 hours for lunch and no dinner, so we usually eat lotssss of pasta for lunch with mayonaise too... yummmmy. The Carbone Family is doing great. The grandma came to church and lovvvvvved it!!! The son who is our age was in Locarno (2 hours away) for the weekend so he coudlnt come. But she seriosuly loved it. She told us after that everyone was soooo nice. She made some friends so she is doing great! Thank you guys so much for praying for them that is very sweet. I will tell them that, they will love it. So last pday we went hiking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was awesome! We actually took a ski lift partly up and then hiked the rest. But we hiked Mount san salvatore which is right next to lugano. SO i got some great pics on top of the world with lugano behind. There is soooo much hiking to be done here. I hope my next comp likes hiking because im way excited!! Today for pday we are going to lucarno a city about an hour north that is also on a big lake. I think they talk about it in I loved lucy crazy huh?? Dumb fred sends the band to locarno i believe... which quite honestly is a great place to be sent haha. So sorry i havent been able to send any pics really. I keep trying at the second library and the computers are mega slow and it hasnt been working. I'll try to figure out a better way. Maybe i'll show you in two years haha... just kidding. I'll work on it. So mom about the package. Thats good there wasnt meat in it. The office unfortunatly doesnt call when they recieve it. But honestly mom i dont want you to feel bad that i wont have it on my bday. Were so busy here that quite honestly i have not really realized my birthday is coming up. So i'll just pretend like it actually is october 20 haha. I will get it at next zone conference which they havent announced yet. I would bet in like 3 ish weeks or so. But dont worry mom seriously.... ill be just as excited, im not sad. Mom i'm glad the birthday was fun. Funny fact, i saw your present from nate before you haha. Nate sent me a picture preview and it looks awesome. Nate you really have an eye my friend, in fact you have two!! Dad thanks so much for the pop culture. I have really come to love your news caster type reports thanks so much. THats crazy paula abdul quit. In italian we say... Meno Male.... which meens like... perfect... its about time. I think miss degeneres will be a great replacement. Mom and Dad your trip to idaho sounded awesome. I laughed so hard hearing about Ben and how he shouldnt step on Jesus's animals haha how cute. Those little stinkers are growing up on me. The trip sounded too fun. But we are cutting internet time a bit shorter today to make it in time. But mom i recieved your letter the other day and loved it thanks so much! I'll get around to writin one back to ya'll. But hey my wonderful family i love you guys so much and will see you later!!!! Buck and JayZ how is my little Max doing? Haha he'll be the cutest kid for sure!! Well i gotta get going.

CIAO!!!

PACE FRATELLI

Love you guys!

Vi Amo!

Anziano Perx

No comments:

Post a Comment