Welcome dear family and friends!

This is our way of sharing Max's mission.  We will post his letters and some of the photos, he sends home to us.  We hope you enjoy witnessing the blessings that come to him during these wonderful two years!

--Ken and Jen Perkes [Max's parents]

Max was asked to chose a scripture for the plaque that hangs in our church during his full time service.  This is the scripture he chose:

Doctrine and Covenants 35:13-14

"Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit;

And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine own indignation will I preserve them."

Friday, November 27, 2009

Amazing last week here in Italy [Letter written 8-26-09]

Helloooooooooooooo


How is everyone doing?! It was great to hear from the fam today thanks so much. Hey i have a question right off the bat! Wow i'm starting with a question, just throwin in all sourts of curve balls at ya. Okay so i want to know if you guys get the pics i send through the email. I've sent pics every week for a couple weeks. But i was thinking, the list of emails i put on is huge because were a big family. So i was thinking that maybe my pics weren't getting to you guys. No one has said anything about them which makes me think there not getting to you. So today i'm just gonna send them to mom, and then mom if you could forward them out. Lemme know if that works. I hope hedwig gets there this week. I hope you'll like it. But anywho lemme get started with the email here. So this week was greattttttt. First off it was blazingly hot....still. Your probably tired of hearing about how hot it is but yesterday i woke up with a sweat stache. It was so gross to wake up sweating haha. But luckily lugano will be a lottttt cooler. Okay so it amazes me how much the Lord is in his work. Cool little miracle story. So a month ago we were doing casa in casa... sorry umm in english house to house. okay anyways... we found this wonderful equadorian family. A mother and the cutest little daughter named pamela. So we taught here the first lesson, she told us that her sister in rome is a member of the church. And that she always wanted to look into the church because her sister liked it. So we got another appointment but then she stood us up. She called us and told us that her work schedule was crazyyyyyy and that she would call us in a couple of weeks when she had more time. So a month almost 2 months goes by. I honestly had forgotten about her for a bit. Well this week i was studying in the morning and all of a sudden i thought about Maria the mom. And i couldnt stop thinking about her family. So i figured, okay this is my hint, we have to go out and see them. So i saw that we had some free time that night and said okay awesome were going out there. So we knocked on the door and maria came to the door laughing. Haha i was kinda scared. But she laughed and then said, we were just talking about you guys!! And then lo and behold the sister came to the door too. The sister was visiting for the week, and Maria told her she talked with the missionaries but had lost contact with them. She said that right before we knocked they were talking about how they had to call us. So we taught them the next day and it went great. It has really helped me realize how much the Lord helps us. It was not just a coincidence thats for sure. So i hope that it will go well after i'm gone. Okay another amazing story, not quite as amazing though.... I found snickers!!!! Yeah the candy bar sorry for the let down. But that was a little miracle for me. They had them on sale at this store last wednesday so i bought 6 and ate them all this week!! Wow they were amaaaaazing. lOVE them. Okay so we had an italian man come down for the interviews of Koffi and Dodji and he didn't speak english!! So he had me translate for him it was very strange haha. But at the same time really cool. I have noticed that when i have to translate the Lord really helps me out. I find myself able to talk a lotttt better. So that went good. And then...... drumroolllll the baptism on Saturday was amazinggggg. It was truely a spiritual experience. I love those guys. So they were really happy that day and just really excited. So cool experience, i gave a talk on baptism. And i was talking and during the whole thing i was fine, but then at the end i was bearing my testimony to them in english, and i said that i knew that their Heavenly Father was happy with the things they were doing. And when i said this the spirit hit me so strong, confirming that it was true. I felt the love of Heavenly Father so much, that i started to cry. Yeah crazy huh haha. First time i've cried in public it was crazy. So i choked out the rest of my testimony, and then the baptism was done. But i was so grateful for my experience. It really helped give me a stonger purpose as a missionary. I experienced the love that God has for his children and it really strengthened my testimony. It was truely an amazing experience. So the next day in church they wore ties!! Yeah they looked so good. President in the middle of sacrament asked them to bear there testimonies. They were a little nervous but i told them i could translate for them if they needed. So they were like yes, come with us haha. So i got to translate these 2 wonderful brothers testimonies it was great. Dodji said that today was his happiest day ever. And how he was so happy to be here with his new family. It was awesome. So i'll send you a pic of baptism after. So something crazy that i'm very jealous about. Remember Anziano Motley form the mtc. Big black kid that i always hung out with that is just an amazingly funny kid. He is taking my place here in piacenza!!!! NOOO. I knew it haha. I wanted to be his companion and we were sooo close. But i'm really happy though. He'll really be a great help for koffi and Dodji. So i'll see him tomorrow which will be fun. Okay so today is crazy by the way. I leave early tomorrow so today is pretty much packing, and saying bye to people. Tonight we are eating with the saquing family who are new converts. And Alice is coming too. So that will be so awesome. I am very excited. But besides that i'm gonna be busy busy busy packing cleaning, and all the fun stuff involved in moving haha. Not too excited haha. So Mom and Nate your in California this week!!! That is wayyyy exciting!! I have never been to Cali. I have always wanted to go. Say hi to usher for me wouldja!? Mom you asked about my travel schedule for tomorrow. On transfers everyone meets in the train station in Milano. So i will go to Milano to meet my new comp and he will take me back to Lugano. We take trains, no not planes sorry mom, and the President does not come no. So it will be a hectic day that is for sure! You asked about dialects and wondering if the Lugano members will talk different. I'm sure they will. The history of italia is interesting because before they were not italia. 100's of years ago all the cities were independent. Which meens they spoke there own languages/dialects too. it wasnt until they united them all that italian became the main language. For example, people here in piacenza speak piacentino, which i've learned a bit which is fun. People in Genova speak Genovese, and in Verona, Veronese. Pretty much every city has a dialect. And lots of time it effects there italian. So i am sure that Lugano will not only have german and italian but some form of dialect. I love learning a bit because when you speak with old people you drop a line of dialect and there like... you speak my language!!!! It is so fun haha. So i'm sorry if this was a bit shorter but i have lotsssss to do today. Thanks for the emails. I am very excited to go to Lugano tomorrow. It will be quite fun. WOOOOO. So i love you guys so much and will talk to you next week!!

Vi voglio bene!

Anziano Perkes

No comments:

Post a Comment