Welcome dear family and friends!

This is our way of sharing Max's mission.  We will post his letters and some of the photos, he sends home to us.  We hope you enjoy witnessing the blessings that come to him during these wonderful two years!

--Ken and Jen Perkes [Max's parents]

Max was asked to chose a scripture for the plaque that hangs in our church during his full time service.  This is the scripture he chose:

Doctrine and Covenants 35:13-14

"Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit;

And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine own indignation will I preserve them."

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Salve La Mia Famiglia!!! [Sent from MTC -- March 10, 2009]

Hello my wonderful family.

Thank you so much for writing me all those wonderful letters. Once again i've got this little red blinking light in the top right corner with 27 minutes remaining so i'll try to type like the wind here. First off the MTC is going amazing. I can't believe i've been here for 3 weeks!! The time here is so crazy. It seems like yesterday was 2 weeks ago but then if i try to remember the morning of toay i can't remember what i did haha. So it is all a little crazy. So to start off I have made a list of what to talk about so it might be a bit jumbled but hopefully i'll get it all out there. First i want to talk about the referrall center again sorry haha. So i had two amazing experiences that have made me so excited for missinoary work. It is awesome! I can already tell in two years i'll be sad to come home. Time is already going by tooooo fast. So we can now do what are called chats where non members go onto mormon.org and then they can chat with missinoaries and ask them questions. So i've been doing that all week and it is so fun. We get the occasional weirdos that come on just to be weird hense being weirdos. So this one guy i was talking to his name is Bryan. Please pray for him. He came on and he had a couple of pretty good questions. So we started talking and then BAM, he said, "Can we meet with the missinoaries....i meen would they want to teach us if that's okay?" So i was like OF COURSE that's OKAY!!!! That's Fantastic! So turns out he has a member friend but he never got teh courage to ask him about the missinoaries but had always been impressed with the church. So I entered his name into the system and got his contact info to follow up and as he was saying bye he said, "I'm so happy about you. Thank you so much for helping. We will be honored to know more about your blessed church." WOW huh?? Quite amazing. His name is Bryan. I'm going to call him later and make sure the missinoaries called him. So this other experience. This lady just got baptized and she said that her husband was muslim, and she said that the bishop said that she couldn't go to the temple without his permission. So she asked me if not going to the temple would mess up her salvation. I was like... oo hard question haha. So my response was (Paraphrased) That really she should talk to her Bishop, so then i bore testimony about bishops and the help they provide. And then i told her before leaving, I shared with her the scripture about nehi where he says, "I will go i will do.... and then talks about the lord giveth no commandment save he shall prepare a way" I shared that with her and told her that if going to the temple was what she wanted, if she went to the lord in faith, that in time the lord would provide a way for her to go to the temple. I don't know why i really shared that scripture at the time, and then she replied with, "That scripture is very much what i needed to hear!" She then said she would go talk to the bishop more about it so i was way excited for her. So a funny thing happened in the cafeteria yesterday. I'm standing in line for food, and all of a sudden the president of the mtc buts in line right behind me because i'm next in line. Well the lunch lady for some reason was struggling that day so it was taking forever. He taps me on teh shoulder and goes. "Hey Elder your tall, can you reach over and grab me a roll?" So at the lunch line there are these like glass defender globe things, i'm not quite sure why but they are there. So i'm like... ummm touch it with my hands? And he's like yeah that's fine. So i reach up and over the divider and all of a sudden this spanish lunch lady is like, HEY NO REACHING OVER!! And i'm like "It's for the president though :(" So as i handed the president his roll i was like, "Now look what you did, made me get in trouble with the lunch ladies." "He thanked me and laughed as he walked off. So moral of the story is I TOUCHED THE PRESIDENTS ROLL!!! Amazing huh? Yeah i bragged about it all week haha. Not really but i still felt cool. So i got your brownies last night thank you so much. They are delicious.... but PLEASE O PLEASE don't send any more food. We eat like 34 meals a day here so i am totally fine. I'm not just being nice, please o please don't send more food, your too nice haha. But I loved what you sent. For now on just mention that you wanted to and i'll still be grateful and love you o so much. Nate and Luisa. Luisa i loved your thing on the book of mormon. That was way cool. I loved it thank you so much. Nate i'm sorry you almost broke your thumb... wait that was until i heard you did it by chasing a goose haha. Silly Nate. Your too funny. 11 minutes oh my i have to hurry!! Dad thanks for your letter this week i loved it. My companion did know the two people you mentioned. He knew of them but not really know know them. The idea about me having a blog is a bit scary... no i'm just kidding. That sounds like a good way to have a big ole book when i get home. Josh i saw your picture!!!! The funny thing is i always walked passed it and was like... that is the coolest picture!! It is not in the main building anymore but in my class hallway imagine that??!? I'll get a picture with it and send it off to you sometime in the next 6 weeks haha. So yeah we've had 2 people go home from our incoming district i'ts kinda sad, but everyone else is doing well. So i had this really cool exprience in the temple. I was kind of tired and i started to kind of zone off, sorry mom, but it was actually really cool. I heard this noise and for some reason i day dreamed that an atomic bomb just hit provo sad i know but kinda cool. I imagined myslef coming out of the temple, and seeing nothing but destruction, but yet the temple was in perfect shape. It was kind of weird but i realized that the temple, or the church literally and spiritually saved my life. So it was kinda cool. But right after i went back to focusing just so you know mom. Sorry i am running out of time i'm gonna have to write a letter as well. So another funny story. I read in John where it says greater love hath no man that he lay down his life for his friend. It kinda hit that that is exactly what I am doing. I am leaving my family for a short time, so that others may live with theirs for eternity. So that night i was kind of thinking about that. So in my prayer, i started praying, and said that i was dedicating my nezxt two years to the lord and i wanted him to use me in any way he wanted. That i would do his will for 2 years 100%. Well i quickly learned that the Lord answers prayers. Not even 12 hours later, 7:45 the next morning, i'm sitting on a couch studying scriptures and the President comes out of no where and says, Anziano Perkes can i speak with you and your companion? So i'm thinking.. oh cool were probably just doing companion interviews or something. He leads us into a class room not even shuts the door and says, I'm gonna make your life harder elders. You are going to be the new Zone Leaders. Can you do that for me? WOW was i surprised. Haha so yeah you might think i'm joking but i got called as a zone leader. It's a little intimidating actually. The first night on the job we had an pair of elders missing and i had to like organize a search and rescue party. Luckily we found them. I guess they had been talking and lost track of time and didn't realize it was 11. So i'm trying to not go crazy yet haha just kidding. Life is great in the mtc. I'm nervous and humbled to be a zone leader. But anyways i only have a minute. I have more to say so i'll send a mail letter today as well. I love you all!!!!!!!!!!


Ci Vediamo!!

Anziano Perkes!

No comments:

Post a Comment