Welcome dear family and friends!

This is our way of sharing Max's mission.  We will post his letters and some of the photos, he sends home to us.  We hope you enjoy witnessing the blessings that come to him during these wonderful two years!

--Ken and Jen Perkes [Max's parents]

Max was asked to chose a scripture for the plaque that hangs in our church during his full time service.  This is the scripture he chose:

Doctrine and Covenants 35:13-14

"Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thrash the nations by the power of my Spirit;

And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine own indignation will I preserve them."

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Family!!!!! [Sent from MTC -- March 31, 2009]

Wonderful Family!!!


Sorry i was a bit slow writing today. I can email anytime up to 6 so i kind of procrastinated this letter
but its all good because i have some time now! So this week at the mtc was amazing!!!! My companion kind
of had a rough week. We taught a lesson last week and he froze up and walked out of the lesson leaving
me to teach the whole thing by myself which actually happened for 3/4 of the lessons we taught this week
which kind of stinks haha but i look at it as a secret blessing because i must obviously need more practice
with the language. So he'll go to say something and then freeze up and go so frustrated that he just walks
out of the room or puts his head down and refuses to even just read a scripture. So this week was amazing
because i got a ton of practice with the language which was awesome. The bad part is i have tried to talk to
him a lot this past week and he always just ignores me. He has kind of become angry at our whole district.
So one night i was just asking how he was and he didn't respond. So i was like yo buddy you okay? And he
told me he was fine, and i said i could tell something was bothering him. So then he said why don't you just
shut up! You don't know me! You don't care about me! And i'm not mad i'm fine, and i'm not affected you at
all so just shut up. So that didn't go as well as i had hoped. That happened a week ago and he hasn't talked to
me or pretty much anyone including both teachers that have pulled him aside. So i really don't know how to
help him. I've tried countless times to lift him up telling him that he's doing great with the language
and how he is a smart guy, or simply just talking to him. It seems like no one can get through to him so
we are all just praying because we figure if anyone can get through his head it will be the Lord. So it has
kind of been a quite week but it has also been amazing. Silence every once in a while actually isn't that bad.
I've been able to feel the spirit a lot this week which has been a blessing. The spirit here at the mtc is crazy!!
So anyways I have a couple of funny stories that happened this week. We have a PA system in our class room and
our teacher needed to check up on 2 missionaries in the dentist office so he called and no one was answering so
I decided that i would go ahead and pretend to be the magice voice from the ceiling. So i cup my hands and go
"Beeeeep Yes how can i help you?" I never thought it would work until my teacher was like, "Umm yes we have two
missionaries......" I carried a like 1 minute conversation with him the whole time while the class was biting there
fingers to stop from laughing. And then at the very end i was like.. "Cshhh... this is commander Perkes speaking,
requesting permission to land Eagle one" My teacher got so mad in a funny way. Not like a mad way but in a like
i can't beleive i just got tricked haha way. Ed and Beth sound amazing! Tell them i say hi. Congrats dad on
your home teaching that sounds great!!! Oh and to answer your question dad we always go to the 12:40 session.
That is when we are assigned to go. Josh and Brooke the food coloring story about Emma made me laugh so much.
That little stinker haha. So many of you have been asking me about the language. I guess I don't talk about it
much. So far all i can do is bear my testimony.... no i'm just kidding haha sorry mom. I am amazed at how
much we are able to learn with help from the Lord. i love it. I walk away after teaching for 30 minutes in italian
not having memorized lessons, but just being able to talk about what the spirit is prompting me to talk about
and i just want to scream with joy. It is so amazing that we are able to learn the language as fast as we do.
Now i don't want to think that i'm fluent or perfect in any way because i am farrrrrr from it. But pretty much
i can get my point across even if i have to talk around a word i don't know. I love it. For example i haven't
memorized this but i'll just say something in italian about the gospel for you. Possiamo vivere con le nostre
famiglie per sempre, quando viviamo il vangelo. Dio ci ama, e perche Dio ci ama, lui ci dava le famiglie e il
vangelo e il libro di mormon. I just said, "We can live with our families for eternity, when we live the gospel.
God loves us and because God loves us, he gives us families, and the gospel, and the Book of Mormon. Pretty
crazy huh? I love being able to pick a gospel topic and bear my testimony on it. It is amazin! I just can't
wait to get out to Italy ans seriously talk to everyone in sight!!!! ON the plane, bus, bathroom, streets
everywhere!!!!! Oh my gosh i can't wait. I only have 3 more weeks here in the mtc. Tomorow is April 1st
(no foolin) and i leave on the 21st!!!!!! I am getting so excited, not ancy, but excited to finally teach
the wonderful people of Italy! So i am just about out of time so i will have to let you wonderful family
go! But thank you all for the letter i love every single one of them! Oh i think one of you asked what i
like to hear in the letter the most and my answer would be just life! I study the gospel like 12 hours a day
here so every once and a while it is nice to hear something non gospel related haha. I hope that makes sense.
Not that i don't like when you talk about the gospel i love it, just i love stories about home the most!

I love ya'll a billion!!!!

Ci Vediamo!

Anziano Perkes

No comments:

Post a Comment